About Me

My photo
Hi! Welcome to my blog, a place where I will share with you my papercraft creations and inspire you to discover your creativity.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Hold the Icing Please

Hey there,

I hope you are enjoying your day. The weather seems to be much like a yo-yo these days. One day is sunny and warm and the next it's rainy and cold. I can't wait until it's sunny and warm everyday!!

Anyway, I have been busy this week working on my friend's daughter baby shower. I wanted to show you my labor of love. This is my first diaper cake I have created. I have never seen this done, until my friend's daughter showed it to me on the internet. Most cakes that I have looked at are round cakes so I thought I'd try a square cake. I love the way it turned out and now I can't wait until my next one.

To make this cake you need 130 size 1 diapers. You can use any brand of diapers, any pattern or plain white. I used the Babies R Us name brand. These have a green pattern which was perfect for the cake since the shower's colors are green and pink. Next, you need lots of rubber bands. Try to get the pack that have mix sizes. Then, you'll need 1 1/2" ribbon (your choice of colors) and 9 artificial flowers.

To assemble the cake, you first need to role each diaper inwards as tight as you can. Use a rubber band to keep the diaper from unwinding. Also, make sure the rubber band is in the center of the diaper. Once you have rolled all 121 diapers, you can now assemble the layers. The bottom layer has 65 diapers. Use rubber bands to group the diapers together. The next layer has 36 diapers, then 16, then 9 and finally the top layer has 4. Follow the same steps for all 5 layers. Now to decorate, use ribbon to hide the rubber band. Make sure your cake is shaped properly before gluing the ribbon. I used my glue gun to glue the end of the ribbon only. You don't want to glue the ribbon to the diaper since the "mommy" will be using the diapers afterward. Now that the ribbon is glued, you can decorate your cake with your flowers.

Here's a video I found for a round cake. I hope you get inspired to try something different. Thanks for stopping by and have a blessed day.


Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

  1. Holy Crow Jocelyn, this is incredible!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joseline! This is absolutely wonderful!! What a stunning "cake" and beautifully done - and a terrific way to have the babies diapers ready on hand :) LOVE your wall color, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just stunning, the prettiest diaper cake I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GIRL...I cannot believe this. I would not have the patients to assemble one of these. FANTASTIC work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just such a stunning creation! What a labor of love.

    Hugs, Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was your first?!?! It's GORGEOUS!!!!

    ReplyDelete